May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, a time to celebrate the rich traditions and contributions of Asians and Asian Americans. In this episode of Spotlight Houston Show, host Blanca Quezada interviews Stephanie Todd-Wong from Asia Society Texas about 31 ways to celebrate this special month and beyond.
Stephanie highlights the various live programs and art tours Asia Society Texas offers. These include:
- Free gallery admissions to exhibitions throughout May.
- On May 11th, pianist Eunbi Kim will perform an immersive multimedia show that explores issues of family and identity.
- On May 13th, the BIPOC Book Fest will showcase literary works, panels, and workshops celebrating Black, Indigenous, people of color, and other creatives.
- On May 18th, notable women news anchors Shern-Min Chow, Melanie Lawson, Pooja Lodhia, and Rekha Muddaraj will participate in a discussion about their careers and the challenges of being female journalists and news anchors of color.
- On May 19th, the Summoning Memories exhibition will be the focus of a free symposium, including a gallery tour, panel discussions, and a keynote presentation by the guest curator.
Asia Society Texas also offers a curated selection of on-demand activities and staff recommendations. Each Sunday, staff picks for music, books, podcasts, and what to watch next are available. On Mondays, the Encore Series showcases the best of Asia Society Texas’ live programming. Tuesdays are dedicated to learning about local Asian Americans who reflect the richness and diversity of the community through Houston’s Asian American Journeys video series.
In addition, the Artist and Community Spotlights highlight Houston-area organizations and artists, including Dance of Asian America, Inprint, the Houston Asian American Archive, and former featured Artists on Site Bennie Flores Ansell, Guadalupe Hernandez, and Matt Manalo.
Throughout the episode, Stephanie emphasizes the importance of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month and the need to elevate the stories and experiences of Asian and Asian American communities.
Don’t miss out on this fun and informative episode! Tune in to learn about the exciting ways to celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month with Asia Society Texas.
Connect with us: